A lot of people have lost the ability to have meaningful conversations. There are a lot of reasons for that – one is definitely that we are constantly busy, busy and being more busy.
- Don’t multi-task. If you want to continue playing the computer game – its fine but say so! Don’t be half in and half out of that conversation. Be present in that moment.
- When entering a conversation assume you have something to learn. Everybody is an expert of something! Be open-minded and interested in other people.
- Ask open ended questions. “How was that like?” Let people describe it. And not: “Were you angry? Yes, I was” or “That was fun, wasn’t it? Yes, it was”.
- Listen! Why don’t we listen? Yes, it takes effort and energy but if you can’t do that you are not having a conversation. This is your most important skill.
- Don’t equate your experience with other people’s experience. If they are talking about how shitty their job is don’t talk about yours, too. All experiences are individual and it’s not about you. You don’t need to prove how amazing you are.
Thank you for reading.
You are welcome to comment with some feedback after practicing the above.